Skip to content

Sophia Grace’s Birth Story | Part 1

August 30, 2010

I assumed my labor would be fast.

My mom’s labors all went quickly. My labor with the twins had moved fast for a first time delivery. My doctor and I talked about when I should leave for the hospital, considering I was about 40 minutes away. She suggested when my contractions were 7-10 minutes apart, unless my water broke first.

But I was definitely not prepared for the experience of a mere hour and a half labor!

Last Tuesday was a beautiful day; it had the feeling of fall as the leaves on the trees were beginning to brown. The humidity was gone and it was pleasantly overcast, with the sun breaking through the moving clouds. I’d taken the boys to the park in the morning.

I’d been feeling more intense pressure ever since little Sophia “dropped” two weeks ago. As I sat watching the boys play, I began to notice I was beginning to feel pressure at intervals. As we drove home I noticed it again.

When we got home I read a T-Rex book to the boys. I felt it again. I decided I’d better start tracking the pressure I was feeling to see if it was coming at regular intervals. I was standing at the kitchen counter thinking that I should first make the boys their lunch.

Then, my water broke.

I called Josh. I called my mom. I called the doctor. It was 12:04 when I finished talking to them.

My contractions did not need to be guessed at now. Just minutes before they had been random sensations that could have been forgotten about. Now, I had to focus on breathing. I started quickly gathering the last-minute items we needed. But thankfully, my mom called me back and reminded me I should get off my feet to slow down the contractions. She and Josh would gather what I needed as soon as they got there.

I put on a video for the boys to occupy them, changed into labor-friendly clothes, and lay on the bed tracking my contractions. They’d been 5 minutes apart. Thankfully, they slowed to about 10 minutes when I was lying down. About 35 minutes later, my mom and Josh arrived within 5 minutes of each other. My mom went through my list and added the last of the items we needed to take while Josh packed the car. We kissed the boys good-bye.

I think all of that took about 10 minutes and then we were on the road!

And so began the most painful car ride of my life. Last time while in the car, the contractions slowed down to the point that I had been afraid we’d left for the hospital too early. Not so this time. During our 40-minute trip to the hospital, they went from 10 minutes to under 3 minutes apart.

As many of you know, sitting in the car is not exactly the most helpful position to help one through contractions. I put my seat down all the way and tried to lie on my side the best I could. We got to the exit for the hospital and it was backed up. I can’t tell you how my heart sank. I started praying in earnest that we’d make it in time while Josh passed about 30 of the backed-up cars by driving up the shoulder.

We were almost to the hospital at last! But now I was feeling a change, something I hadn’t felt before because I’d had an epidural with Duncan and Owen. The feeling was unmistakable: the urge to push.

To be continued . . .

18 Comments leave one →
  1. August 30, 2010 11:16 pm

    Ahhhh! This post is freaking me out! I know you’re ok and all, but oh mama! You must have been so scared. A week already, doesn’t the time fly. Mine is 11 weeks tomorrow. 🙂

  2. taradphotography permalink
    August 31, 2010 12:01 am

    AHH! Is right… you’re freaking out this pregnant girl over here 🙂

    Such a gorgeous picture! It must be so fun to have one of your “own” newborns to photograph. I’m looking forward to that!

    will be waiting for part 2!

  3. August 31, 2010 6:50 am

    Oh, she’s just beautiful, Danielle!

    Wow! What a story. I can imagine how anxious you must have felt. When I had Ava, they broke my water at the hospital and she was out two hours later. Thankfully I was at the hospital — so I was in a much better place than you were going through this — but the doctor on call almost didn’t make it to the room because he didn’t believe I could be ready to push that soon after. So I can relate to how fast it can go! Looking forward to part 2.

  4. August 31, 2010 7:17 am

    Oh girlie. Sophia is beautiful.
    And, I agree. Driving in a car feels like torture when in labor! I made my trip on my hands and knees crouched down in the back seat.

  5. August 31, 2010 8:13 am

    She is beautiful!!!!!!

    I had 2 long labors & #3 was very fast, though not THAT fast! It was so intense, I can only imagine! I can’t wait to hear part 2 🙂

  6. August 31, 2010 10:22 am

    Oh, it’s so exciting! I love cliffhangers!
    Can’t wait for the next installment – especially since I know how it all turns out. 😉

  7. August 31, 2010 1:51 pm


    first, that PICTURE! oh my word. MELT. *why* don’t you live close enough to take newborn pics for me?? 😛 she is UNBELIEVABLY beautiful. that little pose and expression are too much.

    and then, the cliffhanger! an hour and a half labor! oh my.

    aaaand now I’ve used up my quota of caps *and* exclamation points for one day, all in one comment. thanks a lot 😛

  8. August 31, 2010 6:03 pm

    This makes me VERY glad I live two minutes from the hospital where I’ll deliver! I can see it from my house. 🙂 Welcome beautiful Sophia!

  9. Bethany permalink
    August 31, 2010 6:30 pm

    What an exciting story…can’t wait for the rest. And she is adorable!!!!

  10. melodyejoy permalink
    August 31, 2010 6:39 pm

    Danielle, since I really just know you through Amanda and this blog, I am waiting with bated breath!! I will anxiously await the “rest of the story.” In the meanwhile, I am glad you are doing well. Your baby Sophia is beautiful!


  11. Joyce Eller permalink
    August 31, 2010 7:38 pm

    You are quite the photographer/writer!!!
    You made me laugh out loud with the “to be continued”!
    I thought “How could she do that?” and then I thought one of your children must have needed you right at that moment – of course!
    Dragging out the story definitely creates suspense – and the first thing I told my daughters when I shared Josh’s version which he shared with his mom was, “I can’t wait to hear Danielle’s side of the story!”
    You do have a birth story that tops most. 🙂

    P.S. Sophia is beautiful and I can’t wait to see her in person!

    • August 31, 2010 9:47 pm

      Yes Joyce, although it does make for a great cliffhanger, the fact is I’ve simply not finished writing the rest! I hope to have it up tomorrow with another pic! 🙂

  12. September 1, 2010 6:51 am

    Oh my goodness, what a dramatic entrance Sophia!

    When I heard that she’d arrived I was thinking “Danielle just posted on FB this morning but it was about the boys, why didn’t she say anything about being in labor?” Now I know why.

  13. September 1, 2010 11:17 am

    oh good night, girl – you can NOT stop there!

    I’ve got nothin’ else, lol!

  14. Kjirstin permalink
    September 1, 2010 2:48 pm

    Oh my word!! Your little girl is absolutely beautiful! Crazy story, I can’t imagine the panicky feeling that must be!

  15. September 9, 2010 10:45 pm

    AAAACK ! Cliff-hanger to beat all cliff-hangers! And to think I’ve already read part 2 and am still feeling in suspense:)

    That picture is TOO cute! What a doll-face. You’re gonna have Maybe not yet, but you will!

    Love that you included all those details…T-Rex book, going to the park, etc. You’ll be glad later you wrote about that.


  1. 1 Year « Dancing by the Light
  2. 1 Year » Danielle Ayers Jones

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s