Skip to content

A Honeymoon Story

July 13, 2005

We went to Prince Edward Island (PEI) for our honeymoon almost a year ago. Where we were going was a complete surprise to me. I trusted Josh to pick the spot and arrange everything. This typically would have been very hard for my type-A self to do, but considering I was barely able to get everything done for the wedding in time and still remain sane, it was a huge relief to not have to worry about honeymoon plans too.

Looking back on the first several days of our honeymoon, it’s much funnier now than it was then. Funny isn’t exactly the word. The first thing definitely was not funny, but sad, and certainly now what we expected.

We arrived at BWI around 11 a.m. for a 1 p.m. flight and were very tired (hey, no laughing). Absolutely exhausted. I figured out that we were going to PEI when we were dropped of at “International Flights.” Josh tried to call the guy with whom he had set up all of our arrangements in PEI. We were renting a cottage from him. They’d never renting the cottage out to unknown guests before. It was the man and his wife’s private retreat. The man’s business had something to do with lightening rods. The man had insisted that he’d meet us at the airport and we could follow him to the cottage. Josh had tried to dissuade him, suggesting he just give us directions, but no, the man insisted. We realized that island folk are just that way, unfailingly welcoming and hospitable. The man had told Josh to call him when we got the airport and let him know that all the flight plans were still as planned. Josh tried calling him but wasn’t able to reach him, so he left a message on his cell phone

When we stopped at our first layover, Boston, where the Democratic Convention was being held that weekend, Josh checked his messages. Nothing. Josh tried calling again. Cell phone, office, and home. Left messages all three places. On to the next flight.

I noticed that all day my chin was uncommonly sore. What was up with that?

We flew to Montreal, Canada and went through customs, which took some time. Afterwards, Josh checked his messages, still nothing. Now he was getting worried.

“If I can’t get a hold of this guy, I have no directions for getting to the cottage!” Josh exclaimed.

“Did he remember we were coming this week?” I asked.

“Yes, yes, I talked to him just last week,” Josh replied.

We found a place to sit down and wait for the next flight into PEI. Josh tried calling the man again. He tried the home number. Someone finally answered! I listened in.

“Hi, this is Josh Jones, my wife and I are coming this evening for our honeymoon. I’ve been trying to reach your husband.” Silence. “Oh no, I’m so sorry!” Long silence. “Please don’t worry about anything, that’s fine, I’m so sorry to hear . . . yes the directions would be fine. Thank you.”

Josh got off of the phone. “The man, that I arranged everything with and have been talking to setting everything up these past months, died on Thursday!”

“Oh no,” I said, totally shocked. “How horrible, was that his wife?”

“Yes, it was his wife, Ivy. She kept apologizing for not calling sooner. I guess they had the funeral today. She gave me directions to the cottage.”

“How did he die?” I asked.

“She said it was an unexpected tragedy, that was all. I certainly didn’t want to ask.”

We arrived on PEI, the land of Anne of Green Gables, around 10 p.m. We went to pick up our luggage. We discovered we had none.

“You should have picked up your luggage in Montreal from the US flight and checked it in for this flight,” the man at the desk informed us.

“But we specifically asked at BWI if our luggage was checked in all the way to PEI and the woman said it was,” Josh explained. I distinctly remembered the same, and nodded in confirmation.

“Can’t help it, that what you should have done. We should get it in tomorrow afternoon.” So we exchanged information where the airport could reach us and went out with our carry-on bags to our rented car.

We drove across PEI and it was truly beautiful. The moon looked so close and the roads were red, just like described in the Anne books. We had trouble finding the right driveway for the cottage; we drove past it several times, but finally found it. We drove down the soft dirt road through fields of grain and approached adorable cottage overlooking the water. It was located on the quaintly named “Point Prim” and the cottage itself was called “Captain’s Watch.” Birch trees greeted us and their white skin shimmered in the moonlight.

Inside we found a card, a huge bouquet of island flowers, and a basket full of goodies to welcome us. Raspberry cordial, painted shells, a wind chime, and other things put together by Ivy. I couldn’t believe that she’d had time to think of us amidst her own grief!

The next day we woke to waves crashing on the beach and sunlight streaming in the windows. We put on the clothes we wore the day before since we had nothing else. My chin was really hurting now. I went to look in the mirror. I was horrified by what I saw. An oozing, raw, red chin was what I saw. I realized now what had caused it.

“Look what you did to me! Look what your chin stubble did to me” I wailed. It was horrible. How would I go out looking like that? The pictures of our honeymoon would be ruined! Josh started laughing at me. He dared to think it funny. I hoped it would heal . . . fast!

We went outside and climbed down the stairs that were built on the cliff that lead to the beach below. The rocks were red and jellyfish infested the waters. I started feeling rather ill. We kept walking around and I started feeling worse. I told Josh I thought I was going to throw up. I did. So we climbed all the steps again back to the cottage and I still felt bad so I laid down on the bed to rest and watch Canadian television. Great. How lovely. I have a oozing chin and I’m throwing up on the first day of our honeymoon.

Josh made sure I was comfortable then drove off to meet someone from the airport who was bringing our luggage to a designated meeting place. Pretty soon he was back with our luggage. Much rejoicing! We then decided we wanted to stock up the fridge so we decided to find the grocery store. I desperately wanted some Neosporin. We discovered the grocery store and I walked around covering my chin with my hand (I’m sure that was inconspicuous). Oh so vain. We discovered they don’t have Neosporin in Canada, but they do have Polysporin, which seemed to be the same basic concept.

So we had our luggage, I didn’t get sick anymore, and my chin gradually dried up and I used vast amounts of cover-up. You can’t even tell I have a huge scab on my chin in the honeymoon pictures . . . well, most of them. We eventually met Ivy and her eleven-year-old daughter, Shannell. We also met Ivy’s brother, Gilbert and Birdie (that’s their real names!) who were exceedingly kind to us and showed us how to go claming. By the end of our week on PEI we felt welcomed by all of the locals and felt like we were part of the community. We never found out how Ivy’s husband died, but that he was a prosperous and well-known business man who had multiple businesses and had several thousand people attend his funeral.

So, next weekend is our anniversary. Josh is taking me somewhere but it’s a surprise again. What could happen this time?

8 Comments leave one →
  1. July 13, 2005 4:11 pm

    Oh, Danielle! I love your honeymoon story. In fact, I love all honeymoon stories. Nothing ever goes “as planned” and so it’s the first hint God gives us that marriage is truly for better or for worse. You guys had the “in sickness” thing right out of the starting gates. Maybe I’ll write my honeymoon. Like you said, it wasn’t funny then….

  2. July 13, 2005 11:17 pm

    AH DANI! I cannot believe its been one year ALREADY! How time does fly… and with the honeymoon pictures, you never mentioned your chin and I never noticed 🙂

  3. July 14, 2005 8:01 am

    That sounds like a Hevesy sponsored trip..we expect those things to happen. We still tell people about the rooster having his say at your wedding! Congratulations on your first year-you are a wonderful couple.

  4. July 14, 2005 5:59 pm

    Make sure you post your “one year” destination for all to “ooh and ahh!” =)I hate surprises, they kill me! It’s killing me not to know where YOU are going and the surprise surely isn’t even for me haha!

  5. July 15, 2005 5:09 pm

    I am jealous that you went to PEI. Did you see the real Green Gables? Is that a silly question to ask if someone actually went sight seeing on their honeymoon?

  6. July 17, 2005 8:07 pm

    AJ, no, I didn’t mention my chin when you saw my pictures because I was still in my embarassment stage, I’m past that now. 🙂

    Laurie, yes we saw the real Green Gables! It was so neat to see the real thing. We saw other houses that related to L. M. Montgomery books too. We did a good bit of sight-seeing actually. Sometimes I felt bad because no one else I know ever talked about sight-seeing, but we had fun, so I guess that’s what matters!

  7. July 17, 2005 9:03 pm

    Nothing like honeymoon glitches. On our third night, Darren ate a bad cream puff. I woke up sometime around 3am to hear him throwing up in the bathroom. The entire next day he felt bad, and worst of all, his mind associated ME with the nausea! So I couldn’t touch him for an entire day. There are few things worse than finally making it to your honeymoon and having to behave better than when you were courting.

    Great story about the chin stubble! I remember mouth sores… isn’t it amazing what they don’t mention in books and movies? 🙂

    — SJ

  8. January 10, 2007 8:26 pm

    very nice blog!mary

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s